Yesterday on Nextdoor, one person had posted that there was going to Peaceful Demonstration to Open California today (May 1) at noon.
I was most amazed and upset by one woman’s comment that basically said that if you don’t listen to the governor and you leave your house, you will get sick and die and you deserve it.
I returned to Nextdoor today to copy the quote verbatim, but the post, including information about the demonstration were gone. I contacted one of the names I remembered and asked about it.
“Nextdoor removed the post,” the person wrote. “It’s unfortunate when social media restricts healthy conversations and debates about current events impacting our neighborhood. Sometimes I feel like we’re living in a communist regime, where only ‘state approved narratives’ are permitted. What’s happening in our social media is a terrible assault on free speech.”
Circling the News agrees that people should be allowed peaceful dissent, and this includes the right to question authorities. In addition to a woman basically warning everybody that they risk death by going to the protest, I was upset by the lack of knowledge of the virus by people who were engaging on Nextdoor.
TIME TO TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE:
When our kids take tests, we try to help them study by making sure they know the facts so they can answer simple questions. Below is a quiz for parents based on CDC and L.A. County Department of Health statistics. Take the 10-question quiz and see if you pass. This is not an open book test.
The test is based on facts as of April 30, when the CDC reported 34,521 deaths from Covid-19 and the L.A. Country reported 1033.
- How many kids under the age of 15 have died from Covid-19 in in the United States as of April 30?
- In Los Angeles how many deaths have there been in kids under the age of 11?
- How many people between the ages of 15 and 44 have died in the United States?
- How many people between the ages of 18 to 40 have died in L.A. County?
- How many people over the age of 65 have died in the United States from Covid-19?
- 27, 440
- How many people over the age of 65 have died from coronavirus in L.A. County?
- What are the percentage of those dead in L.A. County that were in nursing homes?
- 40 percent
- 20 percent
- 60 percent
- it doesn’t matter because the disease is equally deadly to everyone.
- Of those whose deaths were attributed to Covid-19, how many of those people had underlying health conditions?
- almost no one
- 92 percent
- 60 percent
- underlying health conditions don’t have anything to do with virus deaths.
- When was the first case of Covid-19 diagnosed in California?
- End of January
- February 26
- March 4
- Just before Mayor Garcetti closed L.A. on March 19.
- The leading cause of death in the United States this year will be:
- Heart disease
KEY: 1. C. 2. B, 3. D, 4. A, 5. A, 6. A, 7. A, 8. B, 9. A. 10. B.—Heart disease is annually responsible for 647,457 deaths; as of May 1, total Covid-19 is 62,406. The annual suicide rate is 47,173 deaths and the deaths attributed to diabetes are 79,535. (https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/)
The following table was taken from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health: